[pianotech] Wixie inclinometer

Allen Wright akwright at btopenworld.com
Tue Jul 13 17:03:54 MDT 2010

I'm intrigued by this device; is there a simple formula (based on
speaking length of string, etc.) that one can apply to translate the
angle information which I presume this device provides into a
meaningful downbearing measurement (front and rear)?

Currently in our shop we use a device that directly measures the
bearing (via three "legs" positioned directly over the termination
points and bridge and using a straightedge to measure the gap); but
it's as long as the strings and thus very bulky - to big to take it
out of the shop, in other words. A little device like the
inclinometer could be very handy indeed. Also, I find the Lowell
gauge hard to use, and I don't seem to be able to reconcile the
readings I get with it from the direct readings using our "life-
sized" device.

Any helpful advice will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Allen Wright, RPT