[pianotech] Tuning fork puzzle

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Wed Jul 14 12:52:33 MDT 2010

This afternoon I was planning an experiment today and messing about
with a tuning fork, a board and various things in between.  Listening
for all sorts of things I realised that I was hearing the octave of
the fundamental very strongly.  In several situations the octave
sounded almost as strongly as the fundamental, sometimes equally
strongly, and in some cases, for example when holding the fork near
the top of the long bridge, the octave prevailed significantly over
the fundamental.

Now I am told that the first overtone of a tuning fork has about 6
1/4 times the frequency of the fundamental, so where is this octave
coming from?

JD