[pianotech] soundboard grain angle vs "faux"stiffness

jimialeggio jimialeggio at gmail.com
Thu Jul 15 09:42:45 MDT 2010

> *my tonal envelope is power with out noise. Or as Starr Taylor says"
> Without the strident clang that permeates the piano tonal landscape of
> today"  Predominant fundamental balanced by upper partial clarity but
> no clang and little percussion on hammer impact sound*.
got it...a much more informative description... thanks

> * I seem to be allergic to it*

Absolutely....I personally will not tolerate the clang... but it is one
of the most difficult parts of the tonal envelope to deal with without
losing that "pop" that crisply starts the tone.

I recently heard a 150 yr old 9ft chickering original board/hammers with
a tonal shape in the bass that was utterly unique, and something I am
looking for in working the design issue.  No clang or whine whatsoever,
with what I have to assume  is actually a sounding fundamental rather
than a partials which are perceived fundamental . I am going back to
measure if there is actually fundamental sounding down  there, and get
the string scale which Gene Roe has worked up.

The sound was such that I could physically feel it in my gut, kind of
like when I was a kid watching the 4th of july parade and the bass drums
would go by...went right to the solar plexus it did. Powerful but in a
comfortable and inviting way.

One of the things that I've noticed about the local rc&s attempts is,
that in general, what I've heard has a too complex and prominent
collection of upper partials.  Graphs of the contents of the sound
envelope show fundamental, a strong showing, but a very heavy and
complex collection of upper partials which, to the ear/mind makes it
"seem" as if there is poor fundamental.

My own bellies up to this point show similar tendencies.

This is why I'm particularly interested in other factors that are
effecting  the initial attack other than assuming that the  rib scale is
the only issue that is relevant.  I am on board that it gives repeatable
control over targeted spring, and will continue to commit my efforts to
the refinement of that spring profile, but I'm also thinking hard about
how the panel/bridge restricts that targeted rib spring in ways that I
dont have a good handle on.

Interestingly I think that the voicing of these designs requires a
different voicing approach than we are used to.  As a conversation I had
with Ron  N a while ago pointed out, needling Bacons(I've been using
targeted min applications of steam to the interior of the shoulders)
seems ridiculous at first, until you see what it does tonally.  Or from
a different perspective, same with lightening up the hammer and
increasing leverage aka Ed Mcmorrows lighthammer ideas.

Still learning

Jim I

--
Jim Ialeggio