[pianotech] Appraisal

Gerald Groot tunerboy3 at comcast.net
Thu Jul 15 13:03:25 MDT 2010

Noah,

I agree with David.  I had a church with a beautiful Yamaha C-7.  I kept
very accurate records on how many strings the SAME pianist broke.  Over 110
strings were broken by him and by him alone throughout the piano.  Bass,
tenor and treble.  Nobody else had this problem that played the piano
including Anthony Burger who was a pretty hard pounder himself.  Yamaha was
nice enough to replace the piano for them even though they did not have to
do so.  After which, Yamaha had Dean Reyburn restring it for them.  I still
service the piano that Dean re-strung. It's been about 10 years now since
then.  Not one string has broken since it left that church.

The new piano broke just as many strings as the old one.  When the pianist
tried blaming me for the problem, he ran into problems of his own.  The
church began believing him. I won't put up with that kind of crap at all.  I
wrote the church a very strong and very firm letter about who was really at
fault here and sent a copy to Yamaha and to the dealership.  The dealership
in turn, fired off a letter back to the church re-enforcing my letter
placing all of the blame on the pianist.  I then immediately fired them.
Who needs people like that for customers?  I haven't serviced for them
since.  Too much blame is placed on the piano in many cases where the piano
is not at fault at all.

Be leery about getting in the middle.  Be SURE what is causing the strings
to break before saying anything at all.

Jer