[pianotech] Old Janssen piano

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Mon Jul 19 15:25:19 MDT 2010

I've tuned a Williams & Sons that was one of the sweetest big
uprights I've ever encountered. The word "Janssen", on the other
hand, brings up some very bad memories -- but those weren't 1913
Janssens, but much later ones.

If a company is willing to just close down, taking its brand with it,
instead of flogging its good name and reputation to some cheap
opportunist firm, that is, to my mind, a very good thing. Bush &
Lane, for instance ... when the Depression took down the bank which
had kept them going, they beat a dignified retreat, taking their name
with them. So one never finds a Bush & Lane crummy generic console or
spinet out there.

Susan Kline