[pianotech] Charging by job, or by hour?

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Wed Jul 21 12:20:33 MDT 2010

I think the first piano I ever tried to tune took me 12 hours (over two
days).  This was in Chicago where I used to live.  I'm sure it was the worst
job I ever did.  I think had I charged them $1200 you might be finding me
under some freeway.

The answer, of course, is no.  In my case I can tune a piano in 30 minutes
but they get an hour.  If I can get the piano in tune in 30 minutes I find
something else that needs doing.  If it's a difficult piano it takes an hour
and they don't get more.  If it's a disaster and it takes more than an hour
they get charged more.  If the convention teaches me something for greater
efficiency then I do the job faster and it leaves me time for other things.
My speed makes for a higher hourly rate, they get more from me because of my
experience and expertise, better product, they don't mind paying more-well
some do.

Rebuilding type jobs are different because they are based on an expected
time to complete certain tasks.  Sort of the flat rate method.  Sometimes
I'll do them faster, sometimes slower but it averages out.  I don't bid
those on an hourly basis.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com