[pianotech] Charging by job, or by hour?

William Monroe bill at a440piano.net
Wed Jul 21 22:49:29 MDT 2010

??Formula??

Hours x Hourly wage = price

Thing is, hours is variable from one piano to another so there are
additions/subtractions, and my skill is reflected in my hourly wage.  Of
course it's not arbitrary, no one has suggested that.  Not me, not Jack, not
anyone.  We each determine a cost of a job in our own way, reflecting our
own experiences and skill levels, either as a straight hourly rate or some
configuration that involves hours, difficulties, hazards, etc., etc.  Just
because I don't understand how Jack or anyone else arrives at their prices,
doesn't invalidate them.

I think every one of us (OK, most every one) chooses to quote a price for a
job with some variation of this thought process.  Strict, hourly rates is
not the only way to price, and it most certainly is not the only ethical way
to price.  There are other variants and they are legitimate, even if they
aren't the way you (or I) do it.

WRM