[pianotech] Charging by job, or by hour?

Dale Erwin erwinspiano at aol.com
Thu Jul 22 08:18:33 MDT 2010

Hi Tom
 Seriously, if we charged enough to keep up with the benefits,medical,retirement and overall perks of guvment workers no one would hire us.
 I have  a fireman friend who will retire after 25 years at full pay, lifetime medical, and free hearing aids for life. I call that a golden handshake that private sector folks cannot possible expect to see.  I think I would have needed to charge double my rates on everything for the last 20 years to see the same affect. Slightly different take but...Know what I mean?
 Dale

When a piano tuner determines his hourly wage, does he figure in getting paid for the labor, the paid holidays, the paid vacation, the medical insurance, the retirement funding, the salesman, the marketing dept., the bookkeeper, the scheduler?   The income should reflect paying all these people. Or should most of these people work for free?
---Tom Gorley