[pianotech] Charging by job, or by hour?

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Thu Jul 22 08:34:14 MDT 2010

We're basically contractors.  There are two ways to price:  Fixed bid or
time and materials (or a combination of both which can be appropriate).
Where you are able to accurately predict the time, flat bid is better
because customers are more comfortable with knowing what the cost will be
upfront and you'll lose fewer new customers who are uncomfortable with the
uncertainty.  Some jobs, such as regulation and voicing, can't be done on a
fixed bid because there is too much variability in the requirements.  In
that case time and materials is more appropriate and the customer should be
given a range so that they know what they are likely to have to pay.  If you
leave it totally open ended they won't be comfortable and may very well not
hire you.  Larger jobs such as rebuilding an action or a belly are more
complicated.  If you've done a lot of them and have a standard procedure you
can do it on a fixed bid.  Even if you haven't done a lot of them a fixed
bid is probably appropriate because it would be wrong to charge them a
premium based on your inexperience and therefore your inefficiency.  On both
of those I provide a fixed bid with caveats.  The caveat is I might discover
something when I take everything apart that might require some additional
cost.  Since most of the jobs I do are all inclusive (I don't do partial
jobs or try and cut corners) they are fairly predictable.  But there are
occasionally things that come up.  I guarantee a price within 5% of the
fixed bid mostly to cover variations in material costs.  Above that requires
an approval from the customer.  In the terms of my agreements this is all
spelled out including the fact that there are some unknown factors.  Most of
what we do, however, bushing jobs, backcheck replacement, replacing a set of
bass strings, can all be done (or should be able to be) on a predictable
basis and so the cost can be anticipated.  For customers fixed cost is best
but it requires some experience on the part of the tech so as not to get
burned.  Usually those same experienced techs are also faster and more
efficient.  Time and materials is usually better for the tech because they
aren't constrained by a bid which might have been done in error but are more
uncomfortable for the customer since they have no idea what they will end up
paying.  It's up to us to choose the most appropriate form of estimating
that suits the situation balancing covering our own interests (time and
money) against the customer's interests (time, quality and cost).  Balancing
those three items is tricky (time, quality and cost).  Customers always want
all three, that is shortest time, highest quality and lowest cost.  They
can't have all three.  Shortest time and highest quality will result in
higher cost.  Highest quality and lowest cost will require the longest time
(as the work will be done when there is nothing else competing for the
time).    Shortest time and lowest cost will result in lower quality.  Don't
get caught promising all three.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com