[pianotech] Perfect Pitch (revisited)

Carl Teplitski koko99 at shaw.ca
Fri Jul 23 10:09:24 MDT 2010

I liken pitch recognition similar to , ( many young people will not know this),
before technology helped us tune in a radio station, we used to turn a dial,
which eventually put the dial at the best reception point. Station XYZ would
be at a point on the dial which we recognized as station XYZ, but it was
necessary to fine tune the control to where the signal was at it's best. The
area " AROUND " that best point was the station, but noisy.  The noisy area
was the correct station, but not at exactly "( XYZ )" , so the signal wasn't clear.
When we finally got it clear, we could consider it at (XYZ). Before that , it
would have been XYY or XYW.   Of course, 443, or 439 would be clear, but
at an incorrect frequency .There are many untrained people who can't tell the
difference when 2 notes played one after another, as 2 different notes. I used
to do work for a professional musician in my area who didn't know things were
out of tune, but the instrument didn't sound good.   After I tuned, he said it now
sounded sweet. ( his term ).    He told me that I fix them, and he plays.  ( Fair. )

He didn't want to be bothered with the mechanics of tuning .

Carl Winnipeg, Canada.