[pianotech] "Gray Market" Kawai??

Roger Wheelock roger at dampp-chaser.com
Mon Jul 26 09:44:20 MDT 2010

Hello Marcel,

Allow me to clarify this a little.  Bill is correct, but maybe I can add a bit more to this discussion.

Our current supply of humidistats average 51% for wet, 45% for normal and 39% for dry.  We feel 55% is a bit too wet for a piano.

Moving the humidistat one way or another is for fine tuning.  It is best to apply a wet to a gray market piano rather than try and "stretch" a normal humidistat.

There is a bit of confusion in our literature about wet and dry settings.  The actual averages are dependent on the characteristics of the switches we receive from our supplier.  There is batch variability that cannot be completely managed through our calibration process.  Thus older literature may have wet at 50% and dry at 40%, if I remember correctly.  These modest changes really don't compromise our technical approach, but can lead to some confusion among technicians when comparing values we have listed in the literature.

I hope this helps.

All the best,

Roger

Roger Wheelock, VP