[pianotech] Bass bridge pin stagger, was freak of nature

George F Emerson pianoguru at cox.net
Mon Jul 26 20:21:21 MDT 2010

Actually, this bass bridge pin "stagger" makes perfect sense.  I used a similar stagger in the Baldwin 248.  If the other end of the strings terminate at nut (agraffe) pins, this stagger serves to make the strings of each unison of equal length, or closer to it.  What does deserve ridicule is that the "notching" does not match the stagger.

In fact, this could well be a copy of my design.  If so, someone along the way got the bright idea to compress the unusually wide spacing between the unisons at the bridge, only to discover later that this left no room for proper notching.  "No matter, we can save even more money by replacing the notches with a straight bevel."  If this is the case, the design is further compromised by eliminating my laminated bridge cap.

Frank Emerson