[pianotech] Wegman Upright Restringing

Mark Potter bases-loaded76 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jul 27 14:07:25 MDT 2010

From: Patrick C. Poulson <pcpoulson at sbcglobal.net>

Hello all: I am taking in a Wegman upright, circa 1903, to restring.

Hi Patrick -

I restrung one ~20 years ago (circa late 1890's, I think) and it was a delight.
Way less work than the traditional pinblock.  Just loosen each string until you
can remove the pin - it'll just pop out.  Remove coil.  The pins on this Wegman
were quite unique: far shorter than traditional pins, without a tapered end, so
I re-used all of them.  No problems whatsoever in the restringing.  Just coil on
the new wire, place in hole and put some tension on it.  Your experience may
vary, and with only one sample it is unfair to draw meaningful conclusions, but
I kept wondering why ALL pianos weren't constructed this way.

Mark Potter