[pianotech] Taylor Pianos

Barbara Nobbe barbara at pitchperfectpianos.com
Wed Jul 28 08:20:03 MDT 2010

Avery,

I don't have much experience with the Taylors, only have done a few dealer prep tunings on about a dozen.  From what I have been told by the sales staff, they are made by the same company that makes the Brodmann.   They are an entry level piano and I personally would not trade a Yamaha for one.

From what I observed, the action plays quite nicely for a lower end market piano.  Again, I don't know the longevity of how it responds in the homes, but I'm taking the fact that I haven't had a complaint service call on warranty issues to be a good thing.

I did notice that before tuning, I needed to go through and play every note to get the "chinks" out of the strings.  I'm not sure if this was because the pianos came straight out of the crates or if this will be a likely occurance in the homes.  Also, with the scaling, I noticed a lot of inconsistencies and some poor design with extreme angles of the strings at the bass/tenor breaks coming out of the agraffes and very little side bearing in the bridges at the high treble.

Hope the information helps.  I wish I had more to tell, but I will say they are definitely a better piano than another Chinese brand my dealer was carrying before these.  But now, they've replaced the Taylors with Pearl Rivers, so my experience is short-lived.

Good luck.

Barb Nobbe, RPT
Lexington, KY