[pianotech] 1932 Haynes Brothers Baby Grand Looking for a Good Home

Greg DesBrisay g.desbrisay at ieee.org
Wed Jul 28 21:09:40 MDT 2010

After successfully rebuilding my own Haynes Brothers baby grand and enjoying it for several years, I've decided to upgrade to a Mason Hamlin baby grand that's become available to me, so I need to find a home for the Haynes Brothers piano.

Would any one on this list be interested in the piano, or in the action?  I'd hate to junk the piano when it's in such good condition, and the hard-to-find parts at least might be useful to someone.

Several years ago when I hung out on this list regularly, there was a piano technician who gave me valuable advice on restoring my 1932 Haynes Brothers baby grand.  It has a unique action, and I recall that this piano technician was saving parts for the Haynes Brothers piano owned by one of his customers.

Features:

All new keys, plastic.
Action in perfect working order, new felt throughout, original heads
Piano body is stained a walnut color, shellac is thoroughly crazed, finish on top was damaged by an amateur (me!) who tried to use the French polish technique to restore the finish, but the wood is in good shape and could be easily restored by someone who is skilled at wood finishing.

*******
Included is a purpose-built jig for creating production-quality replacement springs for the Haynes Brothers action, and brass harpsichord wire of the proper diameter to make replacement springs.
*******

The piano is in San Carlos, CA.  Please let me know if you are interested in either the whole piano, or just the action.

Best Regards,

Greg DesBrisay
g.desbrisay at ieee.org
+1 650 281 8396 (m)