[pianotech] Wegman Upright Restringing

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Thu Jul 29 14:46:21 MDT 2010

At 13:07 -0700 27/7/10, Mark Potter wrote:

>I restrung one ~20 years ago (circa late 1890's, I think) and it was
>a delight.  Way less work than the traditional pinblock.  Just
>loosen each string until you can remove the pin - it'll just pop
>out.  Remove coil.  The pins on this Wegman were quite unique: far
>shorter than traditional pins, without a tapered end, so I re-used
>all of them.  No problems whatsoever in the restringing.  Just coil
>on the new wire, place in hole and put some tension on it.  Your
>experience may vary, and with only one sample it is unfair to draw
>meaningful conclusions, but I kept wondering why ALL pianos weren't
>constructed this way.

Yes indeed.  It sounds as if the Wegman design is different from the
Papps, made in Portsmouth, not far from here, at the beginning of the
century.

The Papps has a double wrestplate integral with the frame casting.
There is no wood.  The pins are either smooth or lightly filed but
are otherwise the same as ordinary pins, 2-1/2" long.  The front
plate has the tapering oblong holes and the back plate is drilled
with round holes about 3/8" in diameter.

The wrestplate is at an angle of 7-10 degrees to the plane of the
strings, presumably for good engineering reasons, and as a
consequence no pressure bar is needed. BlŸthner also did away with
the pressure bar on their fine uprights except for the top treble
section.  I have one or two of these, and I reckon if I think it out
beforehand that I could unstring one in 20 minutes, and probably get
the strings back on in two hours.  It woulkd make a good YouTube
video if I hadn't better things to do with my time!

JD