[pianotech] Do These Phones Support TuneLab?

bppiano at aol.com bppiano at aol.com
Thu Jul 29 19:08:49 MDT 2010

When I used Tunelab to do complete tunings, the Ipaq pda was really convenient to use for every aspect of my business.  Contact info, maps, tuning software, I had templates for billing statements for my institutional contracts that kept the process quick, neat, and simple; these were all easy to do with the larger LCD touchscreens.  I went to a smartphone and a pocket pc phone to consolidate what I had to carry around on my person and keep updated and powered for the day.  Possibly the Iphone would be large enough to handle all the data input easily.  I never got used the tiny keyboards so popular with pocket pc phones.  So now, my wife does all the bookwork and scheduling.  I have a good sprial bound map of the area (Colorado Springs) and a GPS for the car.

So often we worry so much about what a new phone will do that we don't look hard enough at the device as a "phone".

I now use an LG Incite pocket pc phone, that works great with Tunelab.  But not so hot as a phone.  It has an annoying problem of disabling the microphone when making phone calls.  A soft reset fixes the problem but nonetheless annoying.

The best setup I had for a phone and just Tunelab was HTC's 3125 (Star Trek).

I missed the boat by not trying the HP series of PDA's combined with a phone (6300, 6500, 6900 series)

If the reception is good, the Iphone is probably the best overall; if you can stand paying for the Data usage and apps costs.

I'd like to find a Blackberry app for tuning that is as precise as Tunelab is for getting my first note.

There. That's my two cents.

Bruce Pennington