[pianotech] Bouncing Bostons

William Monroe bill at a440piano.net
Fri Jul 30 10:33:30 MDT 2010

Seems reasonable.  I suspect you're right that no escapement occurs, and my
initial thought was that the hammer was somehow bouncing off the wip
assembly, but then as I watched, it sure looked like the rest rail was the
culprit.  Now I'm starting to think it's as you've said, the two combined.
I thought of replacing the rest rail felt with something less dense and
thicker - the current felt strip is thin and dense, relatively speaking.

Not sure how altering blow distance would change things for the better.  I
would think increasing it may simply increase the velocity of the return
back to the string as the assembly loads even further.  Of course the
distance to travel would then be greater.  Then again, maybe decreasing it
simply makes it all happen quicker.  What I really need is a deadblow hammer
shank.  ;-]

William R. Monroe