[pianotech] rep spring lubricant....

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Fri Jul 30 14:38:40 MDT 2010

At 13:44 -0400 30/7/10, PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com wrote:

>Burnish, and clean out the graphite gunk,Êwith a soft lead
>(graphite)Êpencil tip.

Yes.  I use a 6B pencil for most graphiting.  But where the spring
has crushed a dent in the groove it's important to crush down the
rest of the wood in the spring's track so that you have a smooth
track, and for that I'd use a very smooth steel needle with the end
suitably rounded, applying considerable pressure as you move it back
and forth.  The only reason the spring digs into the wood is that
they don't bother to do this at the factory.

JD