[pianotech] Need help with TransTint

jimialeggio jimialeggio at gmail.com
Wed Jun 2 07:20:27 MDT 2010

Chuck,

Your experience with transtint on ebony or whitewood sharps echos mine.
However, I have used transtint in water very successfully  in standard
wood finishing  dye mixes...excellent clarity with intense hues.

As a true dye, Transtint actually changes the color of the wood.  The
other "dyes" like leather dye which work nicely on sharps (even on white
wood sharps) are almost opaque and are only sitting on the surface of
the wood .

I think the problem in the sharps is that oil  from fingers has just
terminally permeated the wood, making it impervious to a true dye(even
after chemically stripping).

At least that my current take on this...I'd love to hear other opinions.

Jim I

--
Jim Ialeggio
grandpianosolutions.com