[pianotech] Fender Rhodes

Kent Swafford kswafford at gmail.com
Thu Jun 3 10:21:23 MDT 2010

Rhodes used to say everything a Rhodes needed in the way of service could be
done by the owner with a Phillips head screwdriver and a pair of pliers.[!]

Some Rhodes pianos do not go out of tune much, and so, if they haven't been
messed with too badly by owners through the years, you might be able to just
touch up the tuning.

Some remove the screws that hold the harp, and rotate the harp 90 degrees to
vertical, and then to tune the tines, turn the coils on the tines to move
them. I made a tool that let me tune through the resonating bars without
lifting the harp. See attached fuzzy picture.

You can find the "official" Rhodes stretch tuning online, but I believe it
is only fundamentals. If you use an ETD, you could probably use a generic
tuning for a low inharmonicity piano like a Yamaha.

Kent