[pianotech] Need help with TransTint

Chuck Behm behmpiano at gmail.com
Thu Jun 3 18:34:13 MDT 2010

>Hi Chuck,

First I have to say I am an avid reader of all of your articles & enjoy them
& learn from them all!

Now for the Transtint, you actually read the directions? Sorry I'm one of
those when all else fails read the directions sort of people.

I use it with water based polyurethane to re-do old sharps, it covers
nicely, gives a nice hard finish that doesn't chip as easily or get sticky
in our warm humid summers. I'm just north of you about 30 miles north of the
Iowa border in Wisconsin.
Of course you have to do the usual prep, wipe them down with lacquer thinner
to remove hand oils, then lightly sand with 220 grit to give it some
"tooth".
The water based poly goes on with a brush & is self leveling, it can be
recoated in 30 minutes.
Give that a try & see if you get better results, I used Carver-Tripp Poly it
comes in small cans in satin or gloss.

Mike<

Thanks for the suggestions, Mike. Any particular ratio of Transtint to the
polyurethane? So many drops per unit volume? Or just until it looks black?
Also, is the Carver-Tripp Poly available at any particular retailer, or do
you order it on-line? Chuck