[pianotech] cents: Nights in White Satin OT

Ayerspiano at aol.com Ayerspiano at aol.com
Sat Jun 5 08:35:44 MDT 2010

In a message dated 6/5/2010 9:52:24 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
soundsgreatmusic at sbcglobal.net writes:

greetings,

        is it just me or does the  string section in the instrumental
portion of the recording nights in  white satin sound a few cents off from the
other orchestration  and this song's vocals?

       i hear it in other rock songs too...  anyone?

julia gottshall
reading pa

It might have been a mellotron.  They always sounded sour to me.   They
worked on recorded tapes triggered by each key. Maybe if the voltage  was off
that could have effected the tuning.  Also back then R&R songs  were mastered
with little regard to A440,  not to mention radio DJ's  often spun songs on
turntables faster than 45rpm or  33rpm.

But the difference between the tuning of the vocals and the  mellotron I'd
think the singer probably had the mellotron turned down in his  headphones
while he recorded his vocals to the band.

T, Ayers
Highland NY