[pianotech] Hammer Flange Friction

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Sat Jun 5 12:09:59 MDT 2010

At 06:04 -0400 5/6/10, Tom Servinsky wrote:

>This is a new revelation for me. I've always assumed that the
>general design of the upright action limited any possibility for the
>jack to reset in the half position. I have 8 new Steinway 1098
>uprights I'm dying to give this a shot at.

The reason upright actions, with very few exceptions nowadays, are
equipped with no special device for repetition is that repetition on
the properly designed and regulated  upright action is excellent even
without it.

The only period when even high quality uprights, in Europe at least,
did use a special repeating action (notably the Herrburger-Schwander
spring and loop design) was when the player piano was coming into
vogue at the beginning of the century and super-human demands were
placed on the action.  The early Steinway action with the double
flange achieves almost faultless repeatability by geometry alone.

The only repeating device I know of in a currently produced piano is
that in the Sauter, which is nothing more than a thin flat metal
spring stuck in the back of the jack, which is compressed against the
jack slap rail and provides extra force to return the jack under the
notch.  It's always struck me that it does no more than would a
strengthening of the jack spiral spring.

Nearly all butt springs, at least those attached to the butt as in
the European design, but probably also spring-rail springs, are
delivered too strong.  This not only increases the touch weight
unnecessarily but also impairs repetition, as has been said.  The
butt spring is only needed on certain designs of under-damper action.
It is absent on overdamper actions, and by chance I am in the course
of regulating a very nice and very  normal-looking, underdamper
action (by Herrburger-Schwander) which needs no butt springs because
the hammers need no special discouragement from burbling, which is
the only function of the butt spring.  If the centre of gravity of
the hammer assembly never crosses a line drawn vertically from the
hammer centre, no butt spring is required.

The butt sping, therefore, should be regulated so that when the key
is pressed down very slowly the hammer falls back slowly and gently
as the jack escapes from under the notch.  When the hammer is held in
check, say 16mm from the string, there is thus the minimum force
tending to return it to rest when it is returned to rest.  If the
centre is on the firm side, as Don says, then so much the better for
repetition, since this further reduces the backward force.

Provided the keys are back-weighted (forward-weighted keys are the
enemy of repetition) then, when the key is allowed to move up even
the slightest amount, the considerable weight of the jack lever
(normally centred) added to the force of the compressed jack spring,
which also acts to lower the lever, means that the lever falls a
great deal faster than the hammer.  It is not until well after the
jack has returned under the notch that the tape, invented for this
very reason, comes into action to pull the hammer back to rest.  The
tape plays no part in repetition in quiet playing but is important
for repeating loud notes, since without it, the hammer under its
proper weight, would not return quickly enough and the repeated notes
would be at half-blow.

The Steinway action mentioned above has an unusually shallow, and
regular, slope on the notch combined with a jack spring that is
stronger than normal so that the jack pushes the hammer forward as it
returns under the notch;  the hammer moves gently towards the string
when the hammer is released from check.  Certain old actions
(BlŸthner/Driver & Toepfer, Gšrs & Kallmann for example) had the
notch angled, so that once the hammer had set off there was almost no
tendency for the jack to get back under until a certain point.
Repetition on such actions is relatively poor.  Most actions,
including current actions, are somewhere in between these extremes,
allowing the jack to supply a force tangentially to the notch tending
to move the hammer upwards.

If the touch is too deep in relation to the blow, the jack will come
back too far and lost motion will completely replace the virtues
mentioned above.  The jack should escape from under the notch only so
far as to allow the hammer to fall into check without the notch
bouncing on the fly.  Any more and repetition will be impaired.

Given a well-designed action, and the taller the better, and
attention paid to all the above items, and probably a dozen other
things I have omitted, the upright will repeat very well.

JD