[pianotech] Pin Block Drilling

William Monroe bill at a440piano.net
Mon Jun 7 21:26:18 MDT 2010

Though, some may disagree with reaming........  ;-]

Like me.

I would prefer to set up the drill press for drilling in the piano, with the
plate in, for larger size pins.  Reaming schmeeming, I say.  [?]

In my mind the process you propose to undertake is (in some ways) no
different than the way I drill every new pin block - in the piano, with two
passes.  In this case, the first pass has been done for you, and all you
have to do is drill the final size.  I drill 1/4" to start, then G, or H, or
whatever test bit worked well.  So in your case, you only need to drill the
"second pass" and away you go.  It helps to have a nice rig.  Mine, like so
many others out there is a copy of the (in)famous Nossaman "Hovercraft"
Drill Press.

Enjoy the process.

William R. Monroe