[pianotech] Lever position for hand

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Wed Jun 9 17:58:36 MDT 2010

Sorry folks, the three pictures appeared in kinda reverse order, with
Pic 3 at the top. In all three pics, the hand and sleeve is mine!  Pic 3
(at the top) was my attempt  to reproduice what I thought was the odd
"opposed thumb" position of the girl I saw in the store.  The other two
represent my most usual positions, except that I weas slewed round a
little to take the photos.  My forearm is normally more parallel to the
piano top, with my palm facing more forward.

In the position the girl was using, it seemed to me that the thumb would
be tryhing to push the lever in the opposite direction from that in
which the fingers would be pulling it, and I couldn't see how one would
have control, or feel much sensitivity to the pin's movement.

Here are the pics again.

Best,

David Boyce