[pianotech] FW: Wearing Earplugs while flying

paul bruesch paul at bruesch.net
Sun Jun 13 18:43:08 MDT 2010

I used to skydive, and I also used to fly skydivers. I never wore earplugs
when jumping, but ALWAYS wore expanding foam plugs when flying those noisy
Cessnas.  I never had problems with my ears clearing either on ascent or on
descent, but earplugs do not prevent the pressure changes inside your
head/ears, and I don't think you want them to.

If you do get on the ground and find that your hearing has not come back,
the best solution (in my opinion... Diane or other hearing professionals may
or not disagree... please chime in, Diane!) is the Valsalva maneuver, where
you hold your nose and exhale with increasing pressure until your ears
clear..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valsalva_maneuver
Your hearing is diminished because the pressure inside your head has
equalized to the higher altitude (commercial airliner cabins are pressurized
only to the equivalent of 7,000 - 10,000 feet). On descent, the cabin
pressure increases (to a lower altitude equivalent) until landing and doors
are opened.

Paul Bruesch
On the ground in Stillwater, MN (where my ears pop driving up hill from the
downtown river valley area to my home on top of the hill!)