[pianotech] need advice for plain wire section on a S

pnotnr at aol.com pnotnr at aol.com
Tue Jun 15 10:51:33 MDT 2010

Yes, you're correct.  The info I posted is the existing scale, and it is my assumption that it is not the original scale.  If Ross responded to my post, it has not shown up in my mailbox yet.

Assuming that the piano has been restrung since 1880, but what is obvious is that over the years there have been many individual strings replaced.  I thought having 12 unisons of #16 wire, (notes 35 to 46) then jumping to 17 1/2 for 8 unisons (notes 27 to 34) was unusual.  (with 17 1/2 being the heaviest wire (for B2)

The piano was unplayable when it came in to the shop so I couldn't listen to the existing scale.  If you're interested, the serial number is 44263.  The piano is 54" and has a full plate (which seems massive enough)

I figured a new plain wire scale for this instrument (using PSCALE) and using that programs guidelines, it is on the low side for string tension, but it is still about 850 lbs heavier then what the piano had on it when it got to my shop.  I thought I had read that when rescaling one tries to keep the tension close to the original.  I just don't know how to tell how close this existing scale is to the original.  I don't want to create a time bomb.

Gordon Large

I'll get the bass measurements, as Ron suggested. (Half of the bichords were copper wraps and the other half is iron.)