[pianotech] need advice on plain wire section of S & S

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 15 16:05:38 MDT 2010

Gordon,
Welcome to the Head Smacker's Club!<G>

Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I

To: joegarrett at earthlink.net;pianotech at ptg.org
Sent: 6/15/10 1:00:40 PM
Subject: Re: [pianotech] need advice on plain wire section of S & S

Gordon,

I suggest you not only do a complete scale eval/change yourself, but also do it for 435cps and then change parameters to 440cps. This will better give you an idea of what was the intent originally.
Or.....you could call Steinway. They don't throw out anything.<G>
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I

Well, I did just that.  Just got off the phone with David Kirkland at Steinway, and he knew everything I needed to know, and he gave me the original scale.  (And told me that it was a model "N").  Thanks for steering me that way, Joe.  (I have slapped my forehead for not thinking of this myself!)

Gordon Large
Maine