[pianotech] Player system on Steinway B

William Monroe bill at a440piano.net
Tue Jun 15 22:28:14 MDT 2010

Marty,

To expand on David's comments, I would suggest you consider the following
issues:

As David rightfully pointed out, it sucks.  ;-]

Sostenuto probably is not operable - some systems accommodate the function,
but even then, they are rarely installed.

Damper pedal function is altered negatively by having to replace a straight
trapwork lever with some modified (flexible) metal configuration.  In my
experience installing these units, the results are far from satisfactory.

Yes, sometimes the legs are cut out to make room for solenoids.

There is a large slot cut in the bottom of the piano which, IME doesn't
necessarily affect function, but the aesthetic is compromised.

The Dags are often all or mostly removed, and this can lead to key frame
flexing to varying degrees depending upon what is happening (just playing,
or playing with the shift partly or fully engaged).  Can lead to key frame
knocking as well.

The pedal lyre is often moved forward about 2".  Not necessarily the end of
the world, but it can feel awkward to some.

In my opinion, an aftermarket player system definitely reduces the value of
the piano - unless you are specifically looking for a B with a player.  If
the client is looking for a performance level piano, I'd steer them
elsewhere, no bones.

William R. Monroe