[pianotech] Damper Upstop Rail Missing

Tom Driscoll tomtuner at verizon.net
Wed Jun 16 15:39:18 MDT 2010

  Subject: [pianotech] Damper Upstop Rail Missing

        Hi all,

        Went to service an early 1900's Baldwin Grand.  Upon playing many of the keys, I could "feel" the damper lever hit the back end of the key.  The usual "thump" one would expect from a Damper Upstop Rail needing adjusting.  Well, upon removing the action I discovered this piano has no damper upstop rail.

        Is there another solution for this "thumping" that you feel when playing?

        Matthew Todd

        Matthew,
         I don't quite understand your question. Your diagnosis is correct. The key is getting thumped by the returning damper lever from on high.

        Is there another solution for this thumping?   The question could have been : Is there another REASON  for this thumping ?  You have already figured this one out.

         Now , to correct this. Go to Lowes and buy some 1/4" by 2" maple . It is available in 4' and smaller lengths. Trim and notch as necessary with your table saw and add the felt strip on the bottom edge. Take a look at some other grands and you'll see how to fabricate this rail(s).
         As for installation elevate the tray and wedge it up. Then remove the screws from the damper guide rails . Shift the whole assembly forward ( toward the front of the piano) ,  slide the rails under the strings and drop them behind the damper wires. Making the rail in separate pieces will make this easier than trying to work with one continuous rail. Reinstall the guide rails then secure and adjust the new rails.
         Voila! Fun job and you'll be correcting a very annoying symptom.
         Go to it my young Brother.
         Tom Driscoll

        P.S. If you don't have a table saw --get one !
        I used a little 8  1/4" Makita for years  before picking up a more serious saw. You'll wonder how you survived without one.

        Here is a nice one with a cool stand !

        http://www.lowes.com/pd_294100-353-4100-09_4294857531_4294937087?productId=1208633&pl=1&currentURL=/pl_Power%2BSaws%2B_4294857531_4294937087_?cm_mmc=search_google-_-Tools%20Benchtop%20Tools-_-Power%20Tool%20Saws%20Phrase-_-table%20saw%20stands