[pianotech] humidity

Cy Shuster cy at shusterpiano.com
Thu Jun 17 22:47:11 MDT 2010

In my experience, pianos should be kept between about 35% and 60% RH.
Below 35%, glue joints often break from wood shrinkage; above 60% you
start to get mold on hammers and condensation on metal parts.  The
highest I've measured is 75%, and there were drops of water on the
tuning pins and plate!  Within these extremes, control within about a
10% range is ideal.  With the DC systems, you can choose various "set
points" for the humidistat.  Standard is 42%, "wet" is 52%, "dry" is
39%.  For new pianos in NM, I choose a "dry" humidistat to match our
climate, and so that the customer doesn't have to fill the water tank
so often.  If a piano is older and is used to a normal or wet climate,
I pick the corresponding humidistat to ease the stress on the piano.
Dampp-Chaser has done a lot of research on this; you can call them for
technical reports.

I've got some pictures on my Facebook page (see below) of humidity
damage.  The first thing I notice is tuning instability, typically in
octave 6 or above (OK, the first thing I notice is soundboard
cracks!).  I'll find small gaps at the base of bridge pins, where the
strings have moved them sideways.  A little CA stabilizes the pins.
If left untreated, those gaps become cracks, which can merge in the
top notes where the bridge pins all line up.  Worse than soundboard
cracks are broken glue joints: jack support posts in uprights, jacks
themselves ungluing, etc.  And of course loss of adequate pin torque
is the real killer.  Cracked ivories due to keystick movement, warped
keys and keyslips, heck, humidity can damage just about everything
except casters!

--Cy--

Cy Shuster, RPT
Albuquerque, NM