[pianotech] Low humidity ok ?

Michael Magness ifixpiano at gmail.com
Sun Jun 20 13:47:18 MDT 2010

On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 10:17 AM, allan at sutton.net <allan at sutton.net> wrote:

> Dear list members,
>
> Do many of you agree  that stability is much more important than
> maintaining a specific Relative Humidity level in the piano ? And that too
> much humidity is worse than too little ?
>
> In other words, with an adjustable humidistat (Moisture King) and one or
> two heat bars we can keep Relative Humidity at 30 % or even 25 % and that is
> good, much better than swings from 25 to 85 % RH for example ?
>
> I found nothing in the archives about this specific question.
>
> I hope to hear you about this in Vegas and here on the list. Thank you.
>
> Allan Sutton, m.mus. RPT
> www.pianotechniquemontreal.com
>

> 2010/6/18 Don <pianotuna at accesscomm.ca>
>
>> Hi Cy,
>>
>> As you may be aware Steinway recommends between 45% and 50%. I'm not sure
>> if they mean 50% plus or minus 2.5 percent or 47.5%.
>>
>> At 10:47 PM 6/17/2010 -0600, you wrote:
>> >        Dampp-Chaser has done a lot of research on this; you can call
>> them
>> >for technical reports.
>> >       Cracked ivories due to keystick movement, warped keys and
>> keyslips,
>> >heck, humidity can damage just about everything except casters!
>> >--Cy--
>> > Cy Shuster, RPTAlbuquerque,
>> >NMwww.shusterpiano.comhttp://www.facebook.com/shusterpiano
>> >On Jun 17, 2010, at 4:49 AM, Leslie Bartlett wrote:Thanks for responses
>> >about humidity, specifically regarding issues with the Baldwin    The
>> same
>> >church has a Shigeru Kawai, and two Estonia   There was a major issue
>> with
>> >tuning pin torque on one Estonia  He was fairly strong in his assertion
>> >that humidity be kept between 50-57% for the Estonias  This can only be
>> >managed with DC units, as they have AC running in the major music centers
>> >of the church at all times and it is running in low-to-mid 60%.    How
>> does
>> >that significantly affect things like integrity of pinblock and bridge
>> pin
>> >holes being damaged by expanding/contracting of metal against wood? Is
>> >there any general consensus about how much the piano’s life will be
>> >shortened because of humidity caused wood deterioration either by
>> crushing
>> >fibers, leaving looser tuning pins, and/or cracks in bridges?
>> >12:35:00
>> Regards,
>> Don Rose, B.Mus., A.M.U.S., A.MUS., R.P.T.
>> Non calor sed umor est qui nobis incommodat
>>
>> mailto:pianotuna at yahoo.com      http://www.donrose.ca/
>>
>> 3004 Grant Rd. REGINA, SK, S4S 5G7
>> 306-539-0716

Hi Alan,

I have read through your question(s) & subsequent answers, for the most part
agreeing with all.

My only disagreement would be the room humidifier NEAR the piano, any temp
change in the room of more than 10 degrees makes this problematic for
numerous reasons.

Mike

--

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without
accepting it.

   Aristotle (384 BC - 322 BC)

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service