[pianotech] Reconditioning - Dealing with excess friction in action centers

Terry Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Mon Jun 21 03:02:42 MDT 2010

I have used alcohol (denatured)/water treatment on action centers
numerous times over the years with good results. I use it to restore
function to an action - not to finely regulate friction.

> 1.  I am pleased with the result I get, but am looking for any
> efficiencies I can find.  In your
> experience, does the use of the meth/water sizing solution lay a
> helpful foundation for a more
> consistent end result?

Never really tried it if I was trying to finely regulate friction.

> 2.  Tomorrow I pick up a 1965 Steinway Sheration 4510 upright with
> very sluggish flanges.
> Am I going to be dealing with anything different here?  When were
> the "verdigris" years?

I don't know that the verdigris was restricted to any certain years -
although it's more common on older pianos. And it wasn't restricted to
Steinway - although most common on old Steinways. Just pick out a
couple real slow centers and look at them. If they are green, you have
verdigris. Sometimes they even have little green trees growing out
from the center. Sometimes you really need to remove the center pin to
see the green goo.

Terry Farrell