[pianotech] not for the feint of heart or anything else

Tom Driscoll tomtuner at verizon.net
Mon Jun 21 18:19:11 MDT 2010

  Subject: Re: [pianotech] not for the feint of heart or anything else

  When I suggested a full time, fully insured professional PIANO mover, I meant just that - someone who does nothing but move pianos all day long, every day.  The company I use here in New Hampshire does about  2,000 moves a year.  That includes concert grands as well as pianos of any size.  They do difficult stair moves of some fairly large grands when needed, and basically have had just about every curve ball thrown at them over the years.  You may not have the benefit of movers of that caliber in your area, and yes, there are many piano movers who can only be trusted to a certain level of difficulty.

  If you know of such competent piano movers in your area,  I would be hard pressed to believe that you would have the same level of skills as them (no disrespect to you at all intended - you wouldn't expect your piano mover to be as good a tuner as you, would you?)   But that's your call.  The sticking point for me would still be the exposure to liability associated with your assistants should something go wrong.  Would you be enlisting the assistance of others who have never moved a piano before?  I certainly hope not, as that would be unwise.   I wouldn't expect the judge in the personal injury lawsuit  to show a lot of sympathy.

  Most of the time we get away with doing something careless or unsafe.  That's true for BP too, except for that one big WHOOPS we hear about every day.

  Will

  Gene ,

   Ditto again. Let me be more clear.   ARE YOU CRAZY ?   I'm kidding --somewhat --- but anyone who entrusts this kind of  job to labor pool help ,or even stout friends is asking for trouble.

  I don't mean to be harsh here and maybe you will plow ahead anyway and maybe it will all turn out OK ,  but I'll follow Wills last post again with a suggestion that you put this in the hands of an insured -bonded piano mover.

        I  say this with love in my heart,

   Tom D.