[pianotech] Tuning lever --Shameless self promotion

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Mon Jun 21 22:56:39 MDT 2010

At 09:20 PM 6/21/2010, you wrote:
>Hi Susan,
>
>Do you use it to get into concerts where you aren't tuning? ;)
>
>Alastair,
>David Lawson's Pianos
>Wangaratta
>Australia

<GRIN> I suppose it would be possible, especially places where they
are used to me just walking in. But <blush> I take very little
interest in concerts where I can't hear my own tuning. Spoiled,
spoiled rotten. Vanity rocks!

SHAMELESS PLUG COMING UP! :::: (plus, I left another on Amazon.)

Speaking of vanity, for the first (and maybe only?) time in my life,
a CD was just issued which I tuned for. What's more, it used the same
"project" Baldwin SD-10 which I wrote about in my article
("Freshening Strings") which was in the Journal sometime in distant
prehistory (June 2000.) This recording effort seemed like it had just
dropped dead at birth, but then ten years later the audio engineer
told me that it was about to be issued. He even got data about me and
the piano to put in the credits.

Like a proud parent, I listened to my work from ten years ago, and
..... (vanity rules!)
Too bad it didn't come out back then, which was almost when I wrote
the article. It might have served as an illustration. (Maybe she
wasn't crazy after all?) What I did back then greatly improved the
rendering in the treble, so it no longer was an exercise in
frustration trying to tune rock-solid unisons. Plus, it also toned
down the capo "jangles" so a voicing was possible, but didn't leave
the treble gutless. No little pieces of gaffers tape or folds of
bushing cloth in the front duplex were required.

And, (laying aside my own conceit), David Ogden Stiers did a
magnificent job of the narration, the pianist he brought up (Chie
Nagatani) was superb --- always pick a fine pianist to play on your
work, people ... well, the cellist and the composer/arranger weren't
half bad either. And they've done up the CD really nicely. If I were
a kid, I think I'd enjoy listening to it ... and adults will enjoy it
too, I think.

One can get just a hint from the streaming audio, but one needs real
speakers and the CD to get the full effect.

http://www.northpacificmusic.com/032/Ferdinand_NPM_032.html

sssssssssssnnn