[pianotech] Adjustable Repetition Spring

David Skolnik davidskolnik at optonline.net
Wed Jun 23 16:48:28 MDT 2010

Don -
On the one point in your interesting post that I've copied below, I
would relate what I thought to be the (or 'a') problem in those
earlier parts: the arc inscribed (is that what I mean?) by the top of
the jack was not congruent with the profile of the top of the rep
lever.  As the jack displaced forward, as in the step of winking
jacks, it would drop below the horizon of the rep lever, causing no
discernable hammer movement.  If you were to regulate it to show such
movement, the jack would have trouble re-setting under the
knuckle.  The other problem, I think was that the rep lever pinning
was very light, but what, at the time I thought was a lack of
friction relating to the teflon spring adjusting screw was probably,
in fact, what you described in the rest of your post, about the
changing spring-arm length.

David Skolnik