[pianotech] Spilled wine

Joe Wiencek joespiano at gmail.com
Thu Jun 24 07:30:20 MDT 2010

Dear list,
I service a Bechstein B, housed in the Consulate General of Germany
residence in New York City that has a wine stain on the treble bridge,
where John Negroponte spilled his drink a few years ago.  Of course,
it looks bad, but the tone is poorer now for this libation.  It is a
bare wood bridge cap.  I am hoping someone out there might have an
idea as to how to treat the cleaning.  My concern is that the shape of
the bridge cap will change or be negatively affected by the cleaning
process.  I am not sure which is an appropriate method- removing with
some sort of solution, or sanding, or both?

Any ideas that might help restore our image in the eyes of German
public?

Joe Wiencek