[pianotech] Estonia finish

Ruth Phillips ruth at alliedpiano.com
Thu Jun 24 10:53:11 MDT 2010

>Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 07:14:41 -0500
>From: "Mike Kurta" <mkurta1 at comcast.net>

 >   From the polyester finishing classes from Ruth Phillips:  File off a
bit
of the finish from a hidden spot.  If the filings are clear and transparent,

it is poly.  If they are colored and match the color of the piano it is not.

FWIW
    Mike Kurta

Mike, list,
This is how rumors get started!
What we do is check for finishes that will dissolve vs. those that don't,
with an acetone test in a hidden spot.
If the finish doesn't react, it isn't lacquer.
Then we sand the same tiny spot with 1000 grit.  White sanding dust is from
polyester.
Incidentally, there is a non-rubbed polyester satin finish used on many
ebony
pianos now, including Estonia.  We matched this in Germany and have it in an
aerosol.

On my way to LV today!  Hope to see you in class.
Safe travels everyone,
Ruth

ruth at alliedpiano.com