[pianotech] WNG Parts Question

Nicholas Gravagne ngravagne at gmail.com
Thu Jun 24 17:35:28 MDT 2010

Hey Will,

Nice work!

Now, just to be clear: let's say you applied your "fix" to a whip wherein
the hammer rise out of check was much too strong and difficult to regulate.
So, applying the '"fix" only, with no other regulation at all, not only
slowed down the cranky hammer rise, but at the same time made further
adjustment (and hopefully little of that) of the spring more sure and more
"normal". Is that right?

Because if it is, then the fix also maintains a snappy jack, as well as a
properly spring-loaded system from check. Good news! (Uh, except for all the
extra work we now have to do on new parts!)

I just inspected a hard-bushed WNG whip from my system. Yes, the spring
moves a good deal in its plastic core / center (these whippens do not appear
to have center pins as such).

Tomorrow I will try the "Truitt WNG Whip Fix" (T W W F) and report back.
Let's give it a whirl.

Question 1: are your jacks now snappy and sure?

Question 2: have you checked the rep lever (spring disengaged) for torque
using the gram spring gage? As they are now, WNG rep levers resist 8 or 9
grams when the spring gage finger is applied at the end of the drop screw
leather. Typical readings on standard wood reps is about 2 grams. (I know,
for you purists out there, this is not a true torque reading, but it is easy
to do, and easy to communicate). Whatever your reading is, it won't be a
"right-or-wrong" thing, but more of a "it-is-what-it-is" thing.

Question 3: any concerns that the pin and cloth will, with time, "walk out"
of the post hole? I guess not since old S&S whippens were set up per your
fix --- neither lateral nor back-and-forth motion can be detected. Old S&S
(teflon) rep springs do not move much, but do a bit more than the cloth set
up. Extra whips I have around the shop, Tokiwa and Renner, have rep springs
that move at the coils noticeably, but not nearly as much as the WNGs.

Finally, good work informing Jerry at WNG of your investigations.

Cheers