[pianotech] WNG parts with Schaff (Abel) hammers?

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Fri Jun 25 12:41:50 MDT 2010

At 08:57 -0700 25/6/10, Nicholas Gravagne wrote:

>I prefer brad-points for boring hammers, but this WNG-offered bit is
>not brad-point. Drill bits are not very expensive, and you might
>locate a 3/16" brad-point (0.1875"), which is the closest size to
>the WNG 4.7mm bit (0.185"). The extra 0.0025" extra on the 3/16"
>might be nice to have...

Yes, I mentioned this in a previous posting in the WNG thread.
Judging by the illustrations at their site:

<http://www.wlfuller.com/html/short_length_brad.html>

the Fuller short length brad point drills would be ideal, and the
grinding of the spurs etc. looks very much like the drills that Abel
uses in production, unlike the run-of-the-mill cheap drills you can
get.

Apart from making named sizes, they also supply numbered sizes, as follows

13	4.70 mm
12	4.80
11	4.85
10	4.91

so it is possible to get extremely close to the required bore.

JD