[pianotech] Polyester problems

David Lawson dlawson at davidlawsonspianos.com.au
Sat Jun 26 20:39:35 MDT 2010

I am looking for a magic wand that will fix a problem I have with a polyester repair.
After creating the dam at the damaged part of a fall on an older Kawai upright, I did the usual sanding down through all the guages to the final 2000 grit, to find I had gone through the finish to the wood. This is the first time I have had such a thin coating of polyester to contend with. I have thought about digging out the offending area again,(about 1 inch across) and filling it as before. however, this will no doubt give me a bigger problem than I now have. I have tried spraying the area with gloss paint, however it is too difficult to match the finishes. Does anyone have a solution other than a full re-spray of the whole fall?
Thank you.
David Lawson OZ