[pianotech] Discounted rate for piano stores?

Terry Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Wed Jun 30 15:07:01 MDT 2010

I also questioned that when I read it. It sure makes sense, but I
don't know that it is realistic. From what I've observed, 90+% of
piano shoppers have no idea whether a piano is in tune or out. An
experienced pianist, sure, but 99% of those shopping for the <$1K used
spinet/console - and even for new lower end pianos - don't have a clue.

I'm with you on the looks also. When people call me and ask what their
piano might be worth (usually an older lower-end thing), I'll be
honest with them and tell them that for most shoppers, the mechanics
and sound of the piano won't matter much - it's how nice is the
cabinet and how are the keytops. Sad, but my observations are that
it's true.

Terry Farrell