[pianotech] "premium" vs. price

Jason Kanter jkanter at rollingball.com
Thu Mar 11 22:24:26 MST 2010

The "Moore" (as well as the Broadwood Best and Broadwood Usual) were all
1885, all in a test by Ellis. "Moore" was done on a harmonium by a tuner
from Moore & Moore. The Broadwood factory sent their "best" tuner and their
"usual" tuner. Ellis analyzed the three (and four others) and documented
them all. Jorgensen studied the results and corrected some of the numbers
for evident slippage. Jorgensen applied the term "Representative Victorian
Well" to the Moore.

One way to assess the relative "strengths" of the well temperaments is by
simply comparing the sizes of the smallest and largest thirds. ET has all
the thirds at 13.7 cents. The "Pythagorean" third is 21.5, and since
Werckmeister the rule of thumb was that the ear could not tolerate more than
21.5 cents.

Here are some numbers from my website...arranged roughly from "mildest" to
"strongest".

10.7, 15.7 - Coleman 10
9.7, 15.7 - Coleman 4
9.7, 15.7 - Moore