[pianotech] Medical costs (OT!) was: billing dilemma with pitch raises

Terry Beckingham t46xd8jb at xplornet.com
Mon Nov 1 00:47:41 MDT 2010

Susan,  Jer etal,

We hear lots of complaints about our Canadian medical system from some
people south of the border and I think most of it is unjustified.
  About 4 years ago I had a stroke just before Christmas. A CT scan
confirmed it. There was no cost to me. Two weeks later, after suffering
with abdominal pain for days, I went to the  ER, was given a CT scan which
showed that I had a perforated bowel which had caused severe infection in
the abdomen.  I was taken to the airport by ambulance along with my wife as
escort, where we were whisked off to Winnipeg by air ambulance and then by
ambulance to hospital in Winnipeg where I remained for 8 days on IV
antibiotics. When I was released, my wife and I were provided with airline
tickets to take us back home. Six weeks later I returned to Winnipeg and
had part of my bowel removed. I spent another 8 days in hospital while
recovering. Then I was sent home. That trip was also paid for. All of this
was at no cost to me and I don't have any medical insurance. I think our
Canadian medicare is pretty darn wonderful.

Susan, maybe you should have stayed in London. It's a nice city with great
hospitals and free medicare. Ask Ted Sambel. He retired there. Taxes aren't
really high in Canada. My tax rate is only about  23%. :)

I hope you are all healed up now. All the best.

Terry Beckingham RPT