[pianotech] New planner head

Dale Erwin erwinspiano at aol.com
Tue Nov 2 19:11:06 MDT 2010

  Dear woodchucks
  How about some piano related banter.
   I finally bit the bullet and bought a new Shelix indexable carbide tip super duper cutter head for my 20 inch planner and  8 "jointer.
  The jointer cut the first pass of a maple block 3 inches wide that was smooth as a babys bottom, silk blanket....etc
  The planner head is a wicked looking device.  Like something used for torture. Each squarish cutter bit has four sides of carbide.  If one or more gets nick loosen the screw and rotate the numbered head to a new clean fresh razor edge. I got these heads from grizzly.  The Shelix is made in ....THE U.S.A.....by American craftsman...Ta dum.!!!
  The other one in chermany....by German craftsman.
  The other really cool feature is the noise level drops by at least half.  I'd say with the jointer...2/3thds.  Big plus in the shop.

Dale S. Erwin
www.Erwinspiano.com
Custom piano restoration
Ronsen piano hammers-sales