[pianotech] Medical costs (OT!) was:billing dilemma

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Tue Nov 2 21:10:48 MDT 2010

David, I agree that the whole situation is a disgrace, but I don't agree
that I didn't pay my full share.

I didn't "game" the system. I was just lucky enough to be solvent so I
could pay my bills.

I heard a radio segment (NPR) which said that the common practice of
hospitals is to bill the uninsured at a rate six or seven times what
they charge the big insurance companies for the same procedures. The big
insurance companies have a lot of clout and they pressure the hospitals
to provide services for less than their costs. Those who are defenseless
individuals then have to pick up the slack for both those who are
insured and for those who are indigent. Which is why so many routine
medical events can generate fees into six figures at the drop of a hat.

I'm sure that the insurance companies, who make lots and lots of money
(some pay out only 30% of what they take in in premiums) are delighted
that you think they are being victimized by the uninsured.

Susan Kline