[pianotech] shorter final tuning time with pitch raises; forearm smash

tnrwim at aol.com tnrwim at aol.com
Wed Nov 3 02:18:37 MDT 2010

(Slightly different subject):  Just tuned a Steinway 'B' a
ew hours ago.  It was right at pitch when I arrived.  Still
ook me an hour and 45 min, which is better than the two hours I
ften spend.  Was trying to do an extra-good job since the
ianist was quite accomplished and was going to use it for a
ecording.  Wanted to sock it in pretty good for him and I used
airly heavy test blows but just couldn't bring myself to use
he forearm smash in the home and with the owners there.  (What
o you say:   "Bear with me for a few seconds here, folks"?  or
This hurts me more than it does the piano."?  or  "Trust me on
his one." or just "Cover your ears for a sec ..." or "Here's my
atest number --it's called "Train Wreck."? or what?)
       --David Nereson, RPT

David

You don't necessarily need to "sock" it to the piano to make it stay in tune. Yes, a couple of test blows on each note is important, but you don't need to use a forearm smack, either.  I wonder if perhaps the reason you're taking so much time on a piano is because while you're trying hard to listen, you don't know what to do with what you hear.  Hearing a note out of tune is one thing. But knowing what to do with that note is another.

Can you explain how you tune a piano. I mean, what are the steps you take to tune, from temperament, to bass and treble tuning. Perhaps we can offer you some advice to help you cut down your time.

Wim

 > . . . . . . the difference between a piano
 that doesn't need a pitch adjustment prior to tuning, and one
 that  just had a pitch adjustment done and is ready to tune -
 they should be  pretty much the same. >>
    You're right; they should be.  But for some reason (for me,
nyhow,) the final tuning doesn't take as long after a pitch
aise.  There are exceptions, of course-- any piano with
xceptionally tight pins, such as brand-new ones, Baldwins; and
he "razor's-edge tolerance" pianos, and pianos in which the
trings just don't render easily.