[pianotech] New planner head

Les Koltvedt t4348lk at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 3 05:24:19 MDT 2010

Sweet tool, looks nice.  Enjoy

Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2010 21:11:06 -0400
From: Dale Erwin <erwinspiano at aol.com>
To: pianotech at ptg.org
Subject: [pianotech] New planner head

  Dear woodchucks
  How about some piano related banter.
    I finally bit the bullet and bought a new Shelix indexable carbide tip
super duper cutter head for my 20 inch planner and  8 "jointer.
  The jointer cut the first pass of a maple block 3 inches wide that was smooth
as a babys bottom, silk blanket....etc
   The planner head is a wicked looking device.  Like something used for
torture. Each squarish cutter bit has four sides of carbide.  If one or  more
gets nick loosen the screw and rotate the numbered head to a new  clean fresh
razor edge. I got these heads from grizzly.  The Shelix is  made in ....THE
U.S.A.....by American craftsman...Ta dum.!!!
  The other one in chermany....by German craftsman.
   The other really cool feature is the noise level drops by at least  half.
I'd say with the jointer...2/3thds.  Big plus in the shop.

Dale S. Erwin
www.Erwinspiano.com
Custom piano restoration
Ronsen piano hammers-sales