[pianotech] New planner head

Dale Erwin erwinspiano at aol.com
Wed Nov 3 08:29:38 MDT 2010

Hi Terry
 The jointer is an 8 inch grizzly and right now there selling the whole mess with the spiral cutter head for $895.  Dude the cutter head alone is $325.  Its a great machine and with the new cutter head I just put a fantastic straight edge on my straight edge.  I use it for making all y sound board plank joints and now I'm afraid it will be jsut to dang easy.  Might even speed up production. Shucks
 We fired up the planner last night and it is so quiet it made me cry. We put thru two layers of maple for a block we are prepping for glue up and instead 150 DB of roaring thunder I could still talk and sing opera without being disturbed. No ear plugs either at that moment.
 The cross banded maple was the worst prior to this and the long strings of saw dust would clog the dust collection chute at times.
  Whistling a happy tune...hi ho.. hi ho.... its off.......

Dale S. Erwin
www.Erwinspiano.com
Custom piano restoration
Ronsen piano hammers-sales
R & D  and tech support
Sitka soundboard panels
209-577-8397
209-985-0990

Dog-gone-it Dale, why'd ya have to go and do a thing like that? I've never used a cutter like that, but I KNEW the first time I saw that cutter on the internet that it was very likely the kitty's tushy. Damn.

Well, maybe if I'm really good the rest of the year, maybe Santa will.........

Lucky you for sure. I have no doubt what-so-ever that those cutters are an excellent investment.

I'm pretty sure we both have the exact same model bandsaw and planer. I don't have a jointer. What make/model do you have and how happy are you with it. For a jointer, is its performance as satisfying as that of the Laguna bandsaw and the Grizzly planer?

Terry Farrell

On Nov 2, 2010, at 9:11 PM, Dale Erwin wrote:

  Dear woodchucks
   How about some piano related banter.
    I finally bit the bullet and bought a new Shelix indexable carbide tip super duper cutter head for my 20 inch planner and  8 "jointer.
   The jointer cut the first pass of a maple block 3 inches wide that was smooth as a babys bottom, silk blanket....etc
   The planner head is a wicked looking device.  Like something used for torture. Each squarish cutter bit has four sides of carbide.  If one or more gets nick loosen the screw and rotate the numbered head to a new clean fresh razor edge. I got these heads from grizzly.  The Shelix is made in ....THE U.S.A.....by American craftsman...Ta dum.!!!
   The other one in chermany....by German craftsman.
   The other really cool feature is the noise level drops by at least half.  I'd say with the jointer...2/3thds.  Big plus in the shop.

Dale S. Erwin
 www.Erwinspiano.com
 Custom piano restoration
 Ronsen piano hammers-sales